Wednesday 24 August 2011

3A Lee Zhi Peng (11)

Before embarking on this character education project cum 7th Victoria
Challenge to be able to collect a total of 135 bags of 5kg rice, my
mindset and view on a typical Singaporean was as such; stingy,
self-centered and selfish. However, through my experience in completing
this project, I've realised that the citizens of Singapore are actually
very compassionate and generous when it comes to giving for a good
cause. This lady in the photo generously donated 20kg of rice! I was
really surprised yet happy to know that there are people like her out
here in Singapore. Victorians and teachers were also extremely generous
when it comes to money donation.

At the beginning, the situation was bleak. After 7 levels, my team was
still unable to obtain a single grain of rice. I thought how elated I
would be if I would be able to receive even just 1 bag of rice. Then, we
popped by a house where the owner donated 5kg of rice without
hesitation. That was the greatest inspiration. It gave me hope.
Eventually, my team managed to collect around 50kg of rice, exceeding my
expectation. This teaches us not to be daunted by setbacks but instead
deal with it and persevere on. As a result, the outcome turned out
really well.

Though I would love to, it would be quite a challenge to be able to
juggle between academics and other school-related work and being
involved in the community and contributing to society. I have seen my
brother taking part in a CCA which is based on helping the organisations
that are caring for the needy and less fortunate. This would probably
make it easier to get actively involved in such activities. Previously I
had always seen such projects as a waste of time, but now I find it
meaningful. By helping other, you are doing yourself a favour too.

No comments:

Post a Comment