Thursday 25 August 2011

3A Brandon Ho (7)

Since young, I already had passion and interest towards doing charity and giving back to the society. However, these few years being so busy and all, I did lesser of such activities. This service learning process gave me an opportunity to differently contribute to the society from what I used to. This is experience is something new for me, as we were to go personally door to door physically collect rice from residents in an allocated area (Marine Terrace) and finally donate them to a charitable organisation known as Sunlove Organisation. I understood better, and become more aware of the less privileged people in our society, re-inspiring myself to contribute back to the society further. After delivering the rice to the organisation, I saw how thankful and grateful the volunteers were. That struck me. I realised that spreading kindness or giving back to society need not always be in terms of money, but such small acts could also make a big impact in the less fortunate's lives.
 
What I found most rewarding of all – The warm smiles. The warm smiles of the residents whom we collected the rice from. The residents are all very understanding, extremely willing to comply and unbelievably generous. They praised us for doing such activities, and even thanked us for including them in our project, as we gave them a chance, to contribute back to society as well. Back to the best part, their smiles. These smiles display many emotions and feelings. Some are filled with accomplishment and pride; others show appreciation and happiness while the rest are extremely motivating, and full of compassion. This is definitely encouraging me to continue to do charitable activities in the near future, after finishing my education and being lessened by the burden of academics. I will definitely be more involved, committed, and knowing the support I have from fellow Singaporeans like the residents, to conduct these activities with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment